Breast Feeding Support
Certified Lactation Counselor, Peer Counselor available through the WIC Program.
Women enrolled in WIC who wish to breastfeed or are currently breastfeeding.
Please call the Bureau County WIC office at 815-879-0341.
Monday through Friday, 8am-12 pm and 1-4 pm.
Why Breast Feeding is Important:
- Protects baby from many health concerns. The hormones and antibodies protect the baby from diseases; formula can never offer this protection.
- More easily digested by the baby. Formula is made from cow’s milk and made for calves. Breast milk is made for specifically for your baby and changes as your baby grows.
- With breastfeeding, you don’t have to worry about carrying around bottles, extra water and the formula can, you are already to go. No getting up in the middle of the night to mix formula.
- Breastfeeding has benefits for mom also: lower risk of Type 2 diabetes, breast cancer, and ovarian cancer.
Valuble Online Resources
Local Support Groups:
- Perry Memorial's Mother's Group (open to all) 3rd Thursday of the Month, 6 pm, in the lower conference room
- Illinois Valley LaLeche League: Meets the 3rd Thursday of the month 9:30-11am. Contact the above site for location site.
- Bureau County WIC Certified Licensed Lactation Counselor - Amy